Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

4/8/09

Baby Snuggie?

One of my Facebook friends posted this article about the Peekaru, also known as the Baby Snuggie. (You do know what a Snuggie is, right?). Of course I immediately posted this on my FB page because the Peekaru is both funny and freaky.

But before I continue with the snark, let me just give a fair voice to the Peekaru. According to its website, the Peekaru is “baby wearing made warm…a fleece vest that zips over a soft baby carrier to keep you and your child warm. It fits comfortably over all carriers, including Baby Bjorns, Hotslings, Ergos, Mei Tais and Wraps.”

OK, now back to the snark: The Peekaru can be yours for just $79.95 (which includes shipping and tax). For such a small price, your snug baby can look like a Kuato, the mutant busting out of his brother’s belly in the movie Total Recall (pictured to the right).

Adding to the Peekaru’s freak factor is that it sort of looks like a baby coming out mom, like the baby is being born or pulled out of the womb. If I wore this, I’d feel ridiculous, as if I were wearing a costume just to get laughs. Mind you, none of this is a knock against babywearing. Perhaps the Peekaru is useful and this is just an unfortunate advertisement.

What do you think of the Baby Snuggie?
Clever idea or useless?
Freaky or amusing or both … and why?

No comments:

Tiny URL

Enter a long URL to make tiny: